The factors that determine a general’s power are as follows
- Stats (Attribute : leadership, attack, defense, and politics)
- General’s Equipment
- Spiritual Beast, Dragon
1. Stats (Attribute)
Here’s how to increase your stats (leadership, attack, defense, and politics)
- Leveling up your general
- Enhance (Star Level)
The quickest way to do this is to Cultivate, which can be raised up to about +500. (Gold is recommended for up to +300; gems are the only way to boost over 300.)
However, to reach +500, an enhance is required.
You must have completed one enhance (Star Level 1) to reach +100 (at General level 5, you can have the first enhance); to reach +500, you need four enhance (Star Level 5) (at General level 22).
(For more information on enhancements, see this article: General’s Star Level & Common Misconceptions (Enhance Guide))
Dragons can also be assigned to raise their stats. Depending on the level of the dragon, it can add approximately 6-100.
(For more information, see this article: Dragon – Type, Buff, Enhance)
At +100 status, you gain an approximate 10% buff. (Leadership -> Troop HP, Attack -> Troop Attack, Defense -> Troop Defense, etc.) (Leadership -> Troop HP, attack -> Troop Attack, Defense -> Troop Defense, etc. You can find detailed percentages in the Cultivate screen.
2. General’s Equipment
Basically, the more expensive the equipment, the more power it has.
Increasing the star level of the equipment or refining it will further increase its power.
Star levels can be upgraded up to 5 levels, increasing the power by 3 to 10 times, depending on the equipment.
As for refining, the first time you refine, the power of your equipment will increase by about 1.5 times, but after the second time, it will not necessarily increase.
The reason for this is that it depends on the strength of the buffs granted by the refinement. (When you refine your equipment, four buffs are granted. The more high value buffs there are, the higher the power value of the equipment.)
Equipment refinement is very important, and it greatly affects the strength of the general. (6 equipment x 4 buff slots = 24 buff slots in total)
There are various ways to increase buffs in Evony, but the increase by equipment refinement has the greater impact.
For example, Achaemenidae’s equipment, the highest rank equipment, can give up to +100% (=25% x4) buffs per piece of equipment by refining.
(The increase is proportional to the rank of the equipment: For example, up to +32% (=8% x4) for orange equipment)
3. Spiritual Beast, Dragon
Assigning a Spiritual Beast to a General will increase his power.
You won’t know how much power it increases until you assign it. (There is no power indicator on the Beast’s screen. The dragon’s screen has a power indicator, but it’s not equal.)
- Thunder Scorpion Lv2 Quality Blue -> 50,408 Power
- Celtic Demon Lv1 (100,000 power in dragon screen) -> 161,655 power
Dragons, like equipment, can be buffed by refining. (+60% to 100% depending on the type of dragon) Therefore, refining dragons is also very important. Refining dragons is easier (relatively speaking) than leveling up dragons, so it is recommended to improve your dragon’s refinement first.
IMPORTANT – General’s Power does not equal Strength
The “Power” indicator in this game, not just for generals, is only a guide. A high power value does not necessarily mean that a general is really strong.
It’s easy to increase the power of a general with expensive equipment, but if a general doesn’t have enough status, research, skillization, and equipment refinement, he’s actually weak. If he is not, he is weaker than a less expensive general. (Buffs from research, retrofitted skills, gear, etc. do not add to the general’s power value.)
For example, if a general has the same power of 1.4M as below, General A is stronger than General B in this case.
- Mounted General. His original skill is a mounted buff, and his army is mainly mounted troops. (Same as General B.)
- All four have a status of about 1,100.
- Equipped with a “Fearless : King’s Armor” (= with a Mounted Attack & Defense Buff).
- Other equipment is the lowest line of gold equipment (Champion’s equipment)
- Mounted General. His original skill is a mounted buff, and his army is mainly mounted troops. (Same as General A.)
- All four have a status of about 700.
- He is equipped with a “Courageous : King’s Armor” (= No Mounted Buff).
- Other equipment is the highest line of gold equipment (King’s equipment)
The differences between the two are as follows.
- Difference in status, with a 40% difference in various buffs (HP, attack and defense)
- B has more expensive equipment, but there is not enough of a buffing difference between the Champion’s equipment and the King’s equipment to make up the 40% difference.
- Both of them have the same rank of equipment with the “King’s Armor”, but B has no Mounted Buffs.
Therefore, be careful not to make increasing the power value of your general a goal in training him.